Hey everybody, guess what day it is?? National Cereal Day!!! Personally I love cereal! Here are a few fun facts about cereal!!
- Of the more than 294 million people in the US, 49% start their day with a bowl of cereal.
- The word cereal comes from Cerealia, the name of ancient Roman ceremonies that honored Ceres, the goddess of grain.
- The average American eats 160 bowls of cereal each year.
- U.S. and Israeli researchers have just found strong evidence that humans refined wheat and barley into cereal 23,000 years ago.
- Astronauts from Apollo 11 boosted their processing grains long before hunter-gather societies developed agriculture brainpower while in space with a cereal breakfast. The cereal was mixed with fruit and pressed into cubes since the lack of gravity kept the astronauts from pouring it into a bowl with milk.
Breakfast cereal is a processed food manufactured from grain and intended to be eaten as a main course served with milk during the morning meal. Some breakfast cereals require brief cooking, but these hot cereals are less popular than cold, ready-to-eat cereals.
Prehistoric peoples ground whole grains and cooked them with water to form gruels and porridges similar to today’s hot cereals. Cold cereals did not develop until the second half of the nineteenth century.-www.encyclopedia.com
Super Fun Fact!!
My Grandmother grew up in Battle Creek, Michigan, home of Kellogg’s. When she was 21 she worked as file clerk and she was responsible for putting the 2 scoops of raisins in the Raisin Bran cereal! She said her favorite part of her job was all of the free cereal she got to take home.
What’s your favorite cereal of all time?? Comment below!